Tuesday 28 January 2014

Midweek Bonus flowers!

When I took the photos of the Mimetes Cucullatus on the way out from Rozy's farm on Friday, there was a stunning plant full of yellow flowers which I didn't recognise:
Aulax umbella female
Aulax umbella
What I didn't realise was that I had come across a male and female form of the Aulax umbellata. The top picture shows the female, the lower, the male with the female behind. Today, on Houw Hoek Pass from the top, all the way down to Bot River and beyond, the veld is bright yellow mostly with examples of the males:
Aulax umbella male flower
In many places there's new vegetative growth beyond the flowers:
But all over the Pass, we've been seeing pincushions for months now, so I stopped to get up close to some of the late blooms:
Leucospermum
The three-pointed leaves which we've been told are typical of the Leucospermums can be seen here. This was close to the summit of the pass, and as usual, there's plenty more to see, just off the road! It was actually the pink of these Ericas which caused me to stop and back up:
Erica
We're not familiar with yellow Helichrysums this side.
A colourful Leucadendron:
Leucadendron
And more Ericas!
I was actually on the way to Hemel en Aarde and the best way is through Karweyderskraal for flowers. There was much more Aulax, here is the female (left) and male in one frame, with a cucullatus for good measure!
Aulax umbella - male and female
There were lots of the latter, looking stunning at the moment!
Mimetes culcullatus
Who's being observant? Those three pointed leaves again, this time on a Mimetes!
Mimetes calcullatus
Next to the tar road, just before the land-fill facility, these bright pink flowers were in a small area near where a gang was fixing the road.
Orphium frutescens
Any ideas?
Orphium frutescens
Beyond, next to the dirt road, this Daisy begged to be photographed!
And an Iris, possibly dietes, complete with grasshopper:
Dietes bicolor
In the garden of the farm I visited, I spotted the deepest blue Agapanthus I think I've ever seen. I don't know what they're feeding it on!
Until next time! A





2 comments:

  1. Jenny Simpson comments regarding the pink flowers next to the road above: The small pink flowered bush is Orphium frutescens – the one with the glossy petals. Easily grown in the garden though short-lived


    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent some time look up the pretty little pink/lilac flower from by the "road menders", decided it had to be Orphium frutescens and now notice Jenny's answer. Oh well, can't win them all,.

    ReplyDelete